Why should your visitors stay on your website?
What is it about your content that makes you stand out from the crowd?
If you’re not sure what the answer is, let’s see how to engage users on your website and what it might be missing.
Content that’s easier to digest
Many of your visitors will probably be skimmers. This means they won’t read every word of your content. Instead, they’ll simply scan it and read small parts that jump out at them.
So, how do you give them more scannable content, so as not to scare them off?
- Break it down.
Divide your content into sections (like these) with clear headings, subheadings and lists. Make it easy for your reader to find what they’re looking for.
- Make it easy to read.
Use short, clear sentences and paragraphs. Don’t bog your reader down with endless, waffling sentences, or they will quickly lose interest.
- Make sure it’s easy on the eyes.
Use clear fonts, large enough font sizes, and wide enough line spacings. You have plenty of room to play with, so use it!
Different media forms
To make your content even easier to digest, try displaying it in different ways. By using various multimedia in your content, rather than just pages and pages of text, you can make your content more appealing to a greater number of users.
Your multimedia options
- Using good-quality images to illustrate your text will help to break it down better.
- Adding helpful infographics will make your information easier to understand, especially for more visual learners.
- Videos will appeal to visual and auditory learners who prefer to watch something rather than read it, and videos grow ever more popular online. In a 2021 survey, 93% of marketers who use video said that it’s an important part of their marketing strategy.
- Alternatively, for those who prefer just to listen to what you’re saying, it helps to add a podcast to your content.
- Using interactive elements, such as calculators, maps and polls, will be more helpful to your visitors, engage them with your site, and keep them on the page longer.
As long as you keep your visitors interested and willing to stay on your website, you’ll have a better chance of converting them into paying customers.
Nice design and layout
Most of your users will form an opinion of your website in 0.05 seconds. 94% of these first impressions will be based on how it looks. You have one chance to make the right first impression to your visitor, so don’t waste it!
This isn’t just about text fonts and font sizes (although that is a big part of it). With an all-around website design and layout that builds trust in your brand, you can convince your visitors to stay a bit longer and see what you have to offer.
To start making the right first impression and keeping your visitors engaged, visit our Web Design page: